Powered By Blogger

Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pavement to Pavement...why I love airports and flying

To me, the fact that a big ol' can of metal and glass filled with meat and upholstery, can fly through the air at about 1000km/hour and go above the clouds? wowza. THAT in itself is amazing.

(you will notice me using 'also' a BUNCH.)

Also:  The culture around flight is amazing. The design of everything you touch in an airport and around planes is fantastic. Maybe we all take it for granted...well I don't. Everything about it seems beautiful.
 Despite the obvious setbacks of such inventions which would be kicking a dead horse to mention, flight IS TRULY nifty.



First: Airports.
 Pavement...the entry point. Millions of feet touch this pavement. Nervous sweat, happy/sad tears, wads of unconsciously spat gum...a lot of unconscious use and intention. People not wanting to go, people in a hurry to get the hell outa Dodge..it's all tattooed right there..in the pavement.



What does the sidewalk in front of your house look like?





I likes me an escalator. I used to play on the escalators in the museum in Victoria when I was a kid, with my best pal and her twin brothers. We got in a lot of shit for it....but I know...secretly......every adult wants to.

  poor fuckers


also:  They shine with the chromey goodness of a thousand pit mines.



Yet another prime example of technological awesomeness and design prowess.



I always think of how many people have slept on these...and still...despite this, these little chairs have a look of elegant retro simplicity that makes my couch look like a piece of crap.






I like all the little car/traktor/choo choo trains they have out there on the pavement...where we aren't allowed to go. Where they have secret bumper car races and play "hot potato" with our luggage.


Dang...how I wish....to play "Hot Potato" with your packages.. I wonder if they ever play "Hey what's in here?" and make bets about it only to have their hopes dashed by a very boring x-ray of said package....in fact, I wonder if they get to play with the x-ray machine. I mean really, beside riding the little car thingies there's gotsa be some perks.

The pilots were kind enough to let me into the "cockpit". The term is most likely related to the sailing term for the coxswain's station in a Royal Navy ship, but I just assume it's about dick.



These guys seemed super nice though. They weren't dicks, but I am assuming they have them.














For those of you who don't believe me....poo to you!


Here's me grinning like an kid with one of the pilots.










I love when it rains...makes everything just that much shinier.


Calgary looks a bit like a circuit board hey? Lovely...






Now we go real fast so the plane lifts up off the ground and we don't have an embarrassing moment at the end of the runway....a messy and embarrassing moment involving A large can of meat...and fire.





Now we are in a whole new world. The light is different here.
The air is cool and recycled, the seats are cramped and retarded.

 It's here that we experience free booze and easy conversation, and single serving packets of things who's extra ingredients we cannot pronounce.









They gave me "Excalibur" spoon of kings since the dawn of time. See how it glistens in the sun as if made from hyper alien super metal...when really it is plastic. Plastic......plastic......plastic......plastic


What I love most about flying is the illusion of safety. Like these well designed stylish belts will keep our meat bag bodies all in one piece when the apocalypse comes. Like a hurtling ball of flaming metal can't hurt us if the safety belt sign is on...."ding"...the roast is done.










My view of Iceland's freshly vomited volcano is obscured by normal boring

Cumulo-stratus booo to you clouds...way to ruin my drama fun.

 

Anyone who looks this up and corrects me is an asshole that needs a hobby.

 And here's Scotland. Which looks more like a quilt than a circuit board...


 And Scottish airport pavement. So begins the adventure.



 Next: Paisley...yes Persian amoebas

 

 

http://vimeo.com/4432217

 

2 comments:

Kelly! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
andrea of ffft said...

He looks terrified.