Powered By Blogger

Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ginger Kids


~Mark Twain


Firstly....I'm not a stalker, I'm an artist...there is a distinction.....sometimes.

I have a few friends back home that are red heads. I've seen a fair number in my life I suppose. I don't have a particular obsession or fetish about them, but i decided to do a blog about them simply (red) because I'm in Scotland...the mother land of the Ginger kid. I have to qualify that statement to say Ireland is as well. Both Ireland and Scotland boast an estimated 10-12% of their population as being Copper tops. This is the highest concentration of awesome orange in the world.

The last few years there has been a nasty trend toward bullying these fair individuals. So I thought I would give some reverence for a change. 

Here's a lil' info on the genetics of Red hair:


Famous Red heads:     


Upon landing in Scotland I quickly realized the sheer number of strawberry blond to bright red haired individuals, so I thought I would look into the matter. I decided to either make friends with or stealthily photograph, as many as I could just to show you how many I see. I have captured only 1/3 of the ones I have seen on film, as I am a little quicker on the trigger now, (bare in mind, I've only been here for 14 days as well.) Often I will see them while I'm on the train or the bus, as I am passing. A few of them I have stopped on the street. A few of these kind souls have been keen to connect, other's are shy of the camera, but majestic just the same. 

Ginger convergence:
I have also cheated a bit, because i also wanted to give mad props to the ones I know already, so there are categories.

Friends back home


Alice: AKA "The Ginga Ninja" Is the mother of Ruby* Also on list.
Her super power is the ability to "bring the light up in a room". Funny, clever, foxy, and clearly good with the chocolate fondu!
Bryn: Awesome artist, mad-cap spray bomb genius...lover of Bob Ross (but who isn't?), his work dons the halls and walls of many! His super power is "all in his wrists an finga tips...woooooot". Keep makin mad shit.
Brian: His humor is greatly valued in my friends circle. Always a sensitive and compassionate human, his awareness of the human condition is what makes him the type of person you could see writing a really good book someday. His super power is: "making people realize how silly they are being about trivial shit".





Natasha: She's a keener, always willing to muck in and help out. She never has anything negative to say about anyone. She owns her own shit. Maturity this one. She seems to have energy to spare, and an open mind. Her super power is:"showing people how to give of themselves".






Ben:  Ben is rad. He spends most of his time being a super hero. He raises money for charity, and sets world records. He is amazingly kind. His super power is:"Inspiring others to find 'the super hero within'".

Love the BOOOSH


Ruby!: Ruby is a bit shy. She's still a young n', So she's a superhero in training. Give her time, and she will show 'em who's boss. Ruby was my student for a while. We made weird art projects together. I appreciate her unique ideas. This is certainly her super power. Smart as a whip this one.






Matty Cakes: When I first met Matty, I was working away in my open studio, when along came this fellow with a small sketch of a 'my little pony unicorn' addressed to me.

I'm not one to shy away from ponies, so I kept it pinned to my wall. Two years later I saw him in Victoria, and said "Hey it's you! Unicorn dude!" and he said "What the fuck are you talking about?"
ahhhh yes...good ol Matty. Your super power is:
"Forgetting ponies" heheheh


Kyle: He's a kick ass artist! ...and he puts his art on PEOPLE. He tattoos them! Holy. That is a pretty intense deal. It's there forever, so he means it, you know?
 No messing about there. His super power is: "to make people pretty with ink".
That's pretty magical actually.








John: He is a sensitive kind human, very aware, very compassionate. He has an amazing singing voice....AMAZING....somebody should sign this boy on a label. I'm not kidding. His super power is:" music."






So that's my peeps back home. I'm prolly forgetting some, but it's not that they are forgettable, just that this list is ongoing...so If I forgot you....remind me and I'll add you loves.



New friends in Scotland



These are the kind folks I was able to distract from their busy day to talk and photograph and exchange emails. They had the time....and so, here are my new friends:




Gavin: I sense by his headphones and easy going nature, that this boy likes to rock out. He was more than happy to make time for us, which is very admirable since it is a bit of a strange request we were making. "Hi, we're collecting photo's of Scottish Gingers, do you want to be in our blog?"  He seemed game immediately, which to Amber and I, signifies that he is in fact the true "King of the Scots". And with a mighty mane like his, he really should be. His super power is: "Being the once and future king".


 Cheers Gavin!

 Barry: Barry was, technically, besides Amber, our first Ginger. He and his friends were very friendly and helpful. He liked the idea of our project, and recommended that we go up to Northern Scotland "where there is more of us", he said. He was very good humored. His friend ALSO had a kick ass do. His super power is: "Rolling with whatever comes his way...cheerfully".









 Liz: She was also recommending that we spread our search area to Northern Scotland...apparently they have a bumper crop of gingers in the highlands...spoze that's the next part of the journey. Liz has been to Canada before and I caught her days before she was off to Toronto.
Have a great trip Liz!
I'd have to say Liz's super power is her outgoing nature.

















This is the nice fellow at the airport: His super power is making the greatest latte I have ever known this side of Oso.



This is Barry#2, technically our last Ginger for the project...funny that he is also a Barry...
His super power is keeping a brave face despite sitting next to Amber...heh heh.

















This is Amber, who you've heard of before, but Who's picture I couldn't seem to get to the top of the page due to my inexperience as a blogger.
Amber's super power: "The ability to take all lemons and to make the BEST lemonade." Metaphor intended.












         STEALTH MISSIONS:





I stop at 98 simply because the remaining photos were too blurry. I wish I could have talked to all of them, but it's hard to get people to stop and chat in da big city. Busy bees.

Ah but these two (who work together in the outdoor/mountaineering shop) Were also more than happy to pose, and hopefully they too will keep in touch with us...hey if your out there...let's go hiking!


 SO...

 Let's hear it for Gingers!!!




So ends the Ginger Kids project. I admit that now, whenever I pass a red haired person, I will reach compulsively for my camera (knee jerk reaction to any prolonged exposure to one subject), to capture the majestic ginger in their natural habitat, but alas, it's over now. Until the next project...which is a secret.HA!

2 comments:

andrea of ffft said...

LOL... good to see you're keeping busy. I was going to say that somebody should warn Amber about you, as you don't come with a label and probably for the sake of sanity in some respects, should. But looks to me like she is the type to be just fine in your presence :) Good to meet her!

Three Owls said...

LOVE this post... the wee red owl is so happy to see her kindred. Apparently there has to be red on both sides of the genetic pool, but no one is talking from my side... hmm.... brunettes in denial ;)